You want to complete a postdoctoral fellowship in Canada? 

CRIPCAS offers you a unique research environment in Quebec, French-speaking and multicultural, rich in experiences both human and scientific.

What you need to
know about Quebec

In Canada, the two official languages are English and French. However, in Quebec,  French is the only official language.

Although French is the language spoken by the majority of the Quebec population, it is possible to complete your postdoctoral training in English in many of the CRIPCAS research teams.

In Quebec, the four seasons mark daily life, and the weather is a recurring topic of conversation. 

Quebec offers a continental climate with several temperature variations. During the summers (from June to September), days are warm and sometimes humid, while winters are cold and snowy.

In the winter, temperatures can range from -30°C to 0°C. Autumns are characterized by frequent rains and cool temperatures. 

Establishments provide appreciable thermal comfort with well-heated interiors, maintaining a temperature of around 20°C and above.

For more information about the weather:

Are you considering working during your graduate studies in Quebec, either on or off-campus? It is entirely feasible, provided you meet certain eligibility requirements. 
To work in Canada, having a Social Insurance Number (SIN) is imperative.

If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you must go to a Service Canada office with your passport, study permit, and proof of enrollment as a full-time student to obtain a temporary SIN. This number will have an expiration date and must be renewed along with your study permit.

For more information about the SIN and to apply, you can visit the website, specifically the Employment and Social Development Canada section:



Process and resources

Foreign students wishing to pursue their university studies in Quebec must ensure they have the required official immigration and visa documents for their stay in Canada. It is essential to have health insurance covering medical expenses throughout the duration of their studies.

After being admitted to a Quebec university, it is your responsibility to undertake the necessary steps to obtain the legal authorizations for your stay or its extension in Quebec. This includes obtaining a passport, visa, and study permit, if applicable. It is also crucial to check which health and hospitalization insurance coverage applies to your specific situation and take necessary actions accordingly. You must be diligent in these procedures to ensure compliance throughout your study stay.

In general, immigration formalities can take between 3 to 6 months.

For any additional questions, complete the form located at the bottom of the page.

Applications for the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) and the study permit must be submitted online. It is highly recommended to keep copies of the forms and documents attached to your application.

Documents to present to Canadian customs

  • Passport
  • Letter of approval for your study permit
  • INRS admissions letter
  • Financial proof
  • eTA or temporary resident visa

To learn more, please visit the Régie de l'assurance maladie au Québec (RAMQ) website.

Two ways to complete a
postdoctoral fellowship with CRIPCAS

Choose a research topic that you are passionate about 

We address several research themes at CRIPCAS. We advise you to familiarize yourself with the various research laboratories and teams, and then contact a research director who is a member of CRIPCAS. They can discuss the needs of their team and the process to follow.

Choose from the posted postdoctoral fellowship opportunities.


Do you have questions?

We will be happy to guide you. Write to us.

Stay informed on the latest advances in research